Monday, February 9, 2015

On the QCT


Five days tramping the 71-kilometer Queen Charlotte Track in the Marlborough Sounds 


Here we go! 
on a so-called Freedom Walk: alone, unguided, left to my own devices – but not without the support of a tour company which, besides arranging logistics, provides an indispensable service along the way: 

Luggage transfer each day by boat





This meant I only had to carry a daypack with enough water and other essentials to get me to that night’s lodging – brilliant!










Phenomenal views in every direction! 
















No camping for yours truly... 











Delicious NZ green-lipped mussels harvested straight out of the bays I was admiring all day – doesn’t get any fresher than that

Day 2: Hiking sleeveless...

...and in shorts in February -- sweet as!



 




















No, it's not the Caribbean...
...gorgeous Kenepuru Sound

Trampers Wool – ingenious!  Stuff a wad in your sock as soon as you sense a hot spot.  I’m going to export a boatload of this to Switzerland!

Cold beer never tastes so good as after a hot day of outdoor exertion
 
What a difference a shift in wind direction makes!  Overnight a strong southwesterly blew, at times up to gale force; in NZ when the wind comes from the SW, that means it comes from Antarctica….
Day 3 dawned grey and cold -- brrrrr! 
But it was supposed to be dry...

At least I'm getting use out of this gear I schlepped halfway around the world

Into every great adventure a little rain must fall ;-)















Even in these conditions, the vistas were awe-inspiring
 
And it cleared some just as I reached the lookout

This was the most strenuous day: 25 km of undulating terrain over 8 hours…
Crutches threefold: poles, Camelbak, iPod

















50 km down, only 21 more to go
Looking as beat as I feel

 

















Day 4: rest, recuperation,
and reflection














Last day on the track -- feeling really strong





So sorry to see it come to an end!

4 comments:

  1. What an adventure...so proud of you ..my admiration is immense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photos, especially your selfies ;)
    see you in 25 days!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Your stamina is nspiring, I only wish I had a fourth of your energy!

    ReplyDelete